You see them on the news, you hear about them all around you: illnesses. From epidemics to flu outbreaks and new cancers, the threat to our health is immediate and real. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up with what’s necessary to protect yourself and your family; it can be downright stressful.
It doesn’t have to be.
Sometimes going back to the basics can make the difference between succumbing to various illnesses and diseases. Are you doing what you can to protect yourself and your health?
Diseases and conditions like depression, fatigue, common colds, diabetes, heart disease and even some cancers have direct links to nutritional intake and stress. For this reason, individuals looking to improve their lifestyles should start somewhere simple, with what they’re eating.
Foods demonstrated to increase the body’s immune response include:
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids. These foods, found in seafood like tuna and salmon help reduce fatigue and inflammation throughout the body, which in turn, increases the body’s ability to fight off certain conditions.
- Complex Carbohydrates. As a source of energy, these foods, found in whole-wheat pastas and breads and multi-grain snacks can increase the body’s immune response.
- Foods low in saturated fats. Saturated fats lead to inflammation and other negative health consequences, avoiding foods high in these can help protect against future health issues.
- Probiotics. Foods like yogurt that have a high quantity of probiotics, or healthy bacteria, are known to keep the intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs.
- Garlic. Garlic is high in allicin which fights infections and bacteria. It’s been shown to lower the risk of many diseases includint colorectal cancer and stomach cancer.
And many more.
By taking the time to monitor your intake of food and to stock up on foods that increase immunity while eliminating those that work against the body’s ability to fight infection, you’ll be protecting yourself from day one.
Preventative care is important, this is just as true when it comes to the body’s immune system as to anything else. It’s a tenant of chiropractic philosophy. If you’re interested in doing more to protect yourself and your family, set up a consultation with Dr. Scott LeVan of LeVan Chiropractic today. We look forward to working with you.